For the ultimate day of sightseeing the outer Great Barrier Reef, travel aboard Calypso's purpose built catamarans. These vessels have been designed exclusively for snorkelling and scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef.
There are a few options for snorkelling with Calypso:
- A dedicated snorkelling experience to Opal Reef
- Snorkel on our Snorkel & Dive experience to Agincourt Reef or Opal Reef, perfect when travelling with divers
- For those with limited time, travel 30 mins to Low Isles, a picturesque coral cay for a quick snorkel with Calypso's newest vessel, Calypso XI. This 3 hour tour is perfect for families
- NEW Another half day option is to the Outer Reef with Calypso. Travelling for about an hour, your destination is a beautiful reef site on the Outer Reef. Enjoy close to two hours of snorkelling here
With much of the reef's colour and marine life visible within the first few metres below the water's surface, snorkelling allows even the most apprehensive swimmer to view the reef, with minimal effort or skills required.
With shallow conditions, Opal Reef is ideal for snorkelling. Float effortlessly over coral gardens in search for weird and wonderful marine creatures that will keep you busy for hours. You may visit the world famous 'Fish Bowl', which is home to giant clams, clown fish, anemones and many more (as the name suggests). Enjoy easy access into the water with a swim up platform.
Snorkelling Agincourt Reef is not only one of the most unforgettable experiences, it is also one of the most relaxing even for the most inexperienced swimmer. Take your time as you explore these shallow reefs, teeming with marine life from turtles and clown fish to some of the bigger species such as sharks, Maori wrasse, dolphins and *whales. Specialised snorkel tours are included for those eager to see and learn more.
*Whales are typically present on the Great Barrier Reef between June and September. Please note sightings of whales or other marine species are not guaranteed.
Calypso vessels are very spacious catamarans with large upper and lower decks designed with comfortable day bed style seating to maximise outdoor relaxation. On our dive and snorkel vessels, guests can enjoy a top deck with sun lounges while taking in the breathtaking 360 degree views of the reef.
On board Calypso you can enjoy relaxing on the day bed seating and snorkel without the crowds. With an average of 40-50* guests per vessel per day, Calypso provides ample space for you to get the best possible experience of the Great Barrier Reef. *During peak periods such as Australian school holidays, vessels may be at capacity.
An impressive feature of these catamarans is the back decks that are as wide as the vessel. This provides room, comfort and ease for all snorkellers and divers to enter the water for marine activities. Guided snorkel tours and an interpretive reef talk are available for guests to learn more about the largest living organism on earth.
- Wide stern decks and submersible platforms provide easy access for getting in and out of the water.
- All seating, inside and out, is upholstered for additional comfort
- There are toilets on board, each containing a fresh water shower